Sunday 25 September 2011

Kindle Craft

OK, so it's not actually craft, more like accessorizing for my Kindle but hey, alliteration beats reality for me every time. I can't help but feel like the beauty section of this blog can and will flourish, while the blurbs side might be left to languish if I don't pay it some TLC. This is probably because I work/ study in the field of books (sorry I have distracted myself now, imagine an actual field of books, that would be fantastic!) whereas beauty is more of a hobby. So, to keep up the bookish side of me I thought I would show you guys how I have decorated my Kindle. 

Firstly I thought I'd say just a little bit about how I came to have a Kindle. For absolutely ages I was completely against the idea. 'How can they do this, nothing can replace books!' I cried to anyone who would listen (read: my cat and occasionally my boyfriend). I was outraged, affronted, perplexed... Then slowly over the course of I don't know how long, I became lass outraged, affronted, perplexed. I became open, intruiged, perhaps a little appeased. Then some more time passed. Before I knew it I was actually researching, questioning and reasoning with myself as to whether purchasing one might be a good idea. I think the reasons for this are two fold.

Firstly, at the time I was working in a terrible dead end job which involved mind numbingly boring work. The only upside to this job was that the repetitive and untaxing nature of the work meant that I had a lot of time to talk to my colleagues, one of them being an avid reader and proud Kindle owner. She spoke convincingly of their convenience. 'If I feel like reading a book, I can have it that second, without going to the shops or waiting for an Amazon delivery.' So far, so convincing. But I remained dubious as to the effect a Kindle (and E-readers in general of course) might have on my beloved books and the publishing industry as a whole. I think the second and more important factor in my getting a Kindle was my sudden realisation that all the e-readers in the world are not going to take away from the importance of books. The words in the novel are the same whether you are reading them on the printed page or electronic screen. I am still never going to want to take a piece of equipment that cost me £152 anywhere near a swimming pool, so browsing my local bookshop for the perfect holiday read is not going to stop. A great story will win through in any format.

I am always going to buy books. They lure me in like an intoxicating scent. Boots and Waterstones are shops where I can find myself at the counter paying for something without realising how I've got there. The great thing about the Kindle however is that I can read a heavy tome like 'A Game of Thrones' on the train to work without having to lug it about. I can read documents for uni on my way in without having to print them off and hurt the enviornment, or lug my (increasingly frustrating but ever loyal) laptop about with me. Those are my justifications anyway. I think the most insightful thing I have heard on the digital debate was passed on by children's author/illustrator Oliver Jeffers when I heard him give a talk recently. He said his colleague had pointed out that although films from previous decades now seem dated when compared with new technology, digitalisation of books doesn't make older novels seem out of date or irrelevant at all, proof that the book is a universal product that will withstand the test of time. Therefore I think we should be excited that these advances in technology might give us, not scared of how they might change things.

Wow, I really didn't expect to write that much. I will conclude with a pretty picture of my Kindle, as a reward for making it through what turned into a bit of a speech!




That's all for now folks. Thanks for reading. I would love to know your thoughts! Do you use Kindle or do you prefer a different e-reader? Or will you never convert? Leave a comment below! Xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I've always been a reader, loved books since I was little, I used to always have 2 or 3 on the go and rarely watched TV.

    I know a lot of avid readers are against the kindle but I am totally with you on this. Reading is about the story and real book lovers are still going to buy books- they wont become completely obsolete. The author gets paid whether you buy it on paper or online so all that matters is people are still reading.

    If that means doing it digitally then I think that's a good step! xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool
    Tweet me! @othersideofcool

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome!! I agree -- books won't become obsolete. People love the look and feel of real books too much. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl after my own heart! I was of the same belief, that the paper version of a book would far outweigh the benefit of a Kindle. The intoxicating smell, coupled with seeing how far along in a book you are, and the fantastic feeling that comes when you see your progress! I did however resign, and asked for one last Christmas! And I LOVE it!
    I take it everywhere I go! It's amazing to be able to carry books the length of The Song of Ice and Fire series, which I just downloaded the free sample of to test the wordiness (I can't get through Lord of the Rings, no matter how much I love the films), without feeling like your arm might drop off. I did that at Uni - majoring in English will certainly help create biceps!

    I love your "Book Queue" - I can't seem to get enough of books! To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites! Also, Tender is the Night is a good book, as well as A Farewell to Arms, if you like war stories! Here's hoping the Game of Thrones series is good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having the same debate with myself for months! How often do you buy e-books and on average how much are they each? That's the main thing concerning me.

    However, it is my birthday coming up and then Christmas won't be too long after that!

    http://ishinelikejewellery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ghin I normally alternate between e-books and 'real' books as otherwise I start to miss the feel of a real book, ha! I think in general e-books are always cheaper than physical books, because obviously you're getting less for your money. Sometimes they're really cheap, like 'A Game of Thrones' was about 98p I think, crazy cheap. I definitely recommend it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete