Saturday 3 September 2011

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome

Hi, welcome to my blog!

I've been reading blogs for a while now and have only just plucked up the confidence to actually have a go and do it myself. I'm planning to mainly write about two of the things which take up a fair amount of my time- books and beauty. Although I'm certainly not an expert on either of the two I love talking about them with friends and hopefully now with some fellow bloggers too. I'm still finding my feet at the moment so I thought that I would just post a quick review of my favourite holiday read of the year... Baby Be Mine by Paige Toon.

I've been in a really relaxed mood over the summer and I think the books I've been reading have reflected that. Nothing heavy going, no classics just a few well-written (for the most part) chick lit books that have let me really relax whilst still enjoying a great read. But of all the books I've read this summer, Baby Be Mine is definitely my favourite.

**WARNING** Now, if you haven't already read Johnny Be Good by Paige Toon and you're planning on it then be warned it will give away a lot of that book's ending, although no more than is revealed on the blurb of the book.

Baby Be Mine is the fifth novel by ex heat writer Paige Toon. Although all her books reference other characters that you might have met in previous novels, this is the first book of hers that could actually be described as a 'sequal.' It follows the story of Meg, former PA to rock god and ultimate bad boy Johnny Jefferson. She's living with his best friend, dependable music journalist Christian in the south of France with her child Barney. The main problem is that although Christian thinks Barney is his, he is really a product of last gasp attempt by Johnny to persuade Meg to give him (yet another) chance and as you can imagine, drama ensues.

The thing with main character Meg is that she is flawed. Totally flawed. She fell pregnant with her boyfriends best friend, would you be able to not judge that girl at all if you met her in real life? And yet I was still routing for her and the book is ridiculously addictive. I think it is partially to blame for my lobster looking face as I was so involved in it that perhaps I didn't reply the Ambre Solaire as much as someone as pale and English as myself should! Paige Toon manages to get you really caring about these realistically flawed characters that are leading ridiculously unrealistically glamorous lives and perhaps therein lies the charm- the escapism of the rock star lifestyle, paired with characters prone to very human errors. Also, judging from the rave Amazon reviews , I am not the only one who couldn't put it down!

All in all if you haven't read anything by Paige Toon yet I thoroughly recommend that you do. If you like the sound of this book (and I doubt this highly incoherent review has sold it to you even half as well as I would have liked) then I definitely recommend reading Johnny Be Good first because it sets the whole thing up so nicely and you'll have so much more knowledge of the characters. Or if the rock god affair isn't quite your bag then definitely go for Chasing Daisy, in my opinion Toon's best book and one of the best chick lit books I've ever read (and there's been oh so many!).

If you think I ramble about books, you should hear my cat!
If anyone is actually still reading this review you have my eternal gratitude and I hope you aren't too bored and will come back again soon! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment